There is a wide range of ways that users can find their way on the website. Having your website highly accessible is vital to the triumph of the website. Accessibility is an essential feature because it will increase the number of people having business with you. The following are some of the ways of enhancing your website usability;
You should avoid recurring content and use mast heads, search menus as well as other navigation procedures that are similar in all the website pages. Provide a way in which any repetitive information can be skipped over by the users. This can be enhanced by;
- Use correct headings: Using the correct heading elements improves navigation as some clients will opt to skim through the headings to get what the content is about. They define the organizational form of your webpage.
- Having the ability for the content to be accessed with the use of a keyboard alone in a systematic manner: Access for people with disabilities such as blind people or people with neuro-muscular impairments is generally through the keyboard.
- Fonts: the content should be in such a manner that it is easy to read. Use different font sizes for different texts.
- Use purposeful title attributes; these are small summaries that inform the user where the hyperlink will take them if they click on them. Make sure that the title attributes are different to the link text. The title attributes should all start with different text.
The page layout
You should opt to use cascading sheets in the place of tables in controlling the layout of the page. This will enable you to alter the linear layout of web pages without altering the visual layout. The layout of the page can be improved by;
- Having chief elements at the top of the page: Vital interactive elements such as the search bar should be placed at the top of the webpage. Most clients expect vital information to always be at the top of the table.
- Text should be separated from figures: This will improve the readability of the text describing the figures. Every time an image is put to use, make sure that there is text that is equal to the information the image is conveying.
- Color: Color can be used to pass on information. The color used should be uniform in all the pages so that the user is not confused.
Form elements offer a variety of accessibility choices. Improve your form fields by:
- Having titles on form fields: Text is coordinated up with its matching field element by label elements; analogous input elements are grouped collectively with the aid of field sets. These elements make the forms easy to access.
- Use form elements outside of forms: Using field sets to group elements collectively outside of the forms is very important in fastening their accessibility.
- Forms such as logins, those that subscribe to mailing lists, search boxes should have signs that inform the user of their uses.
There are multitudes of ways that make websites easily accessible albeit with different levels of complexity for incorporation. The above are just among the many that you can delve into to improve accessibility to your website.