Website usability is very important for any website. Clients should have an easy, quick and pleasant access to your material. This is important in ensuring that your customers remain loyal without finding alternative sources. To achieve the above, these factors should be put into consideration while designing your website;
A client should be able to access any information they need from your website. You have to keep in mind;
- The load time: You have to make sure that the time taken for material to load is very minimal so that time is not wasted. If it takes a lot of time to load, be sure many people will just find alternatives.
- Font size: There are different options in the font sizes you can use for your website. Ensure that the materials are very easy to read and that you do not use very large font sizes.
- Custom pages: Create custom pages especially the 404 error page so that your client is led to alternative sources if what they need is not found.
In addition to the above, enhance the text to background contrast and ensure that the add-ons are used minimally.
Ease of identification
Make sure there are straight answers for questions from clients especially if they want to know your identity. To improve on identification, ensure;
- Your logo is uniquely placed: The best place to keep your logo is in the upper left part of the screen.
- The home page is quick to comprehend: The home page must have components such as the menu placed below the logo or at right hand side, the search bar on the left or upper right side with help areas that are quick to be obtained.
- The contact and company information are easy to find: Having contact information is vital in case a client wants to get back to you to report a problem or a commendation. This will help in improving your customer care services.
- Group forms flow: Each field has to have a title explaining what the field is for.
Ease of navigation
Clients will always ask for clear routes to the information they are looking for. The basics of navigation should include;
- Using excellent title tags: These carry the definition of the document title and are essential for all the HTML and XHTML web pages. For example use the format; Brand name – primary keyword and the secondary keyword. These should be less than 70 characters.
- Having less links as possible that are dependable and simple to identify: The blue links are the most common. You should also consider making your links underlined, conspicuous and less destructing to the flow of the content.
- Clear and precise navigation labels: They should be small, on the spot and simple for visitors to comprehend.
You have to ensure that there is space between the text and the images to enhance readability; there are little or no splash pages and that the animations are very minimal. The key headings have to be clear and for the benefit of SEO, they should have tags.
The style in which the information is presented has to be uniform to avoid confusing clients; colors have to have equal sense while the layout and headings have to be consistent.